About this blog

After sharing e-mail after e-mail with my mother's friends and family I decided that it would be more efficient to put this information on a blog so that it would be centrally located. Here you will find information mostly on Fredi Balzano's health struggles. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

See my other blog at daisybrainlives.blogspot.com for thoughts on knitting and cooking and other family highlights.

Thanks everyone.

Tracy B.

Friday, April 25, 2008

4-25-08

On Wednesday I got to see Fredi walk!!!

She had help and a walker but I haven't seen her truly vertical for over a year. It was hard for her but she is doing it every day and getting better every week. First they help her stand and she stand with her walker for a little while to get used to being upright. Then she will rest and the next time she gets up she walks for a while and she'll rest and do it again. It is really something. One thing that will have to be overcome though for her to be able to walk well is that right now she is having a very hard time getting her heels to the floor. Between the shape of her feet and the fact that her hamstrings and tendons are beyond tight doing that is very difficult.

I suppose that I always knew we would be here but last summer and fall I was just so scared that we would lose her that recovery seemed impossible. Her inability to speak really kicked her in the pants because she has always relied on communication when all else failed. As soon as she became able to speak again she really picked up.

Now she has days where she is actually busy with PT, speech therapy, OT, therapy therapy... At the end of the day when she has a chance to relax she takes advantage of it. Weekends are harder because she has no schedule but she gets through reading and watching TV.

A few days ago I came to the conclusion that I should put all the notes I have sent out since last March on a blog so that there would be a record and when someone has questions they would have a central source to refer to. I have done that and now all my notes can be browsed at daisybrain.blogspot.com. Take a look.

Keep the faith.

Tracy

No comments: