About this blog

After sharing e-mail after e-mail with my mother's friends and family I decided that it would be more efficient to put this information on a blog so that it would be centrally located. Here you will find information mostly on Fredi Balzano's health struggles. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

See my other blog at daisybrainlives.blogspot.com for thoughts on knitting and cooking and other family highlights.

Thanks everyone.

Tracy B.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

June 19, 2007

Hi everyone. I was trying to think of some more creative titles to put in the subject line then decided that it was too exhausting so I stick to the status quo.

Yesterday when I went to see Fredi I was initially alarmed by the fact that there was blood in her sputum. They seem to think that it was simply due to irritation from suctioning which they are trying to do less. Also they are now using a more flexible tube that should be less irritating. When I got there the sputum was pinkish. Well... very pinkish. Apparently earlier it was really red which had everyone a little scared. They do have her on some support now (6 hours off and 1 hour on the respirator). I'm not sure she needs the respirator now though. It really seems to be a precaution. Also she had some low grade fevers the last few days. The infectious disease doc was by when I was there and they are trying to determine whether or not she would benefit from any additional antibiotics. We were all in agreement though that we DO NOT want to give her any more antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. They were going to review new pathology yesterday and this morning and make their determination. Hopefully they will be able to wait to see if the fevers clear on their own.

Also yesterday while she was on the respirator they left the collar a little loose and I was actually able to hear her speak. It was just a little and softly but words they were just the same. While I am getting better at reading her lips it can get exhausting for both of us.

Something else. She seemed stronger yesterday. The nurse and I asked her if she was feeling stronger. She said no but I could see a difference in the way she used her hands and tried to do some things for herself, even if it was just putting on her glasses. Trust me, even seemingly simple tasks like that have been close to impossible for her.

I am still trying to get her to acquiesce on the visitors but she won't budge.

I want to thank all of you who have offered and helped me during the last 5 months. It has been incredibly difficult and the health issues are just the tip of the iceberg.... really.

I'll be in touch.

Tracy

No comments: