About this blog

After sharing e-mail after e-mail with my mother's friends and family I decided that it would be more efficient to put this information on a blog so that it would be centrally located. Here you will find information mostly on Fredi Balzano's health struggles. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

See my other blog at daisybrainlives.blogspot.com for thoughts on knitting and cooking and other family highlights.

Thanks everyone.

Tracy B.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

February 27, 2008

Hello everybody.

I know it has been a long time since you have heard from me. Some of you have contacted me for updates about Fredi and I haven't responded. I am just so tired and it is easier to respond to everyone at once.

Anyway, Fredi continues to recuperate at Amsterdam House Nursing Home. No one seems to know just how much improvement we can expect. Suffice to say that she still can't walk and is completely dependent on the care she receives there. At one point she was improving and getting stronger but she fell into a funk and she didn't want to do anything. It was so hard. She just laid there reading some but not trying to get any stronger. At this time she was discharged from physical and occupational therapy. In order to begin those treatments again she will have to be reevaluated. That hasn't happened yet but we are working on it. She has begun seeing a therapist there and with her help we will be able to get her mentally healthy enough to want to get stronger. I think that this doctor's input is helping.

She does continue to work hard in speech therapy and is using her voice more even though she has the tracheostomy. We still don't know when we will be able to get that reversed but the fact that she is using her voice more and exercising her larynx will help.

Fredi can and will accept visitors and if you want to send her a message feel free to send it to me and I will print it out and bring it to her. She does have access to e-mail and text messaging but doesn't respond very often so you don't know if she has seen your message or not. We're working on that too.

For all you record keepers out there. Fredi walked into St. Vincent's on February 21, 2007. She has been sick for a year now. Light a candle.

I am still trying to find:
David Eidenberg
Barbara Roach

If you have any other questions do e-mail me. I'l do my best to answer any individual concerns.

Tracy

No comments: