About this blog

After sharing e-mail after e-mail with my mother's friends and family I decided that it would be more efficient to put this information on a blog so that it would be centrally located. Here you will find information mostly on Fredi Balzano's health struggles. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

See my other blog at daisybrainlives.blogspot.com for thoughts on knitting and cooking and other family highlights.

Thanks everyone.

Tracy B.

Monday, February 9, 2009

My last three e-mails re Fredi's broken hip

Because I neglected to put my last three notes on this blog I am posting them all at this time. God bless.

Tracy


January 15, 2009

Well everyone, we have had a setback.

This morning I was sorting the laundry when... I heard a humongous crash from downstairs.

Fredi fell on her way to the bathroom and broke her hip.

We called 911 and she was taken to St. Vinnie's where the x-ray showed a fracture. We are still waiting for the results of the CT scan to show whether or not she will require both the ball and socket or just the ball.

My aunt was with her all afternoon and then the plane landed in the Hudson and my aunt was asked to leave. She was taken to the hospital at 9:30 this AM and as of 5:00 she still didn't have a room. I'll call the hospital soon to see if she has been placed.

This is a terrible turn of events but we will get through it.

I'll keep you all informed.


January 18, 2009

So....

Fredi is recovering from her 4 hour hip replacement surgery. She didn't just break the top of the femur bone but also shattered the socket. You can trust her to "do it right". So they gave her the cobalt chrome implant and repaired her socked with cement. The surgeon really is like a sculptor. It's pretty cool. This happened on Friday night. They began the surgery around 7:00 PM and she was on the table until after 11:00. A physical therapist came to her room yesterday and assigned her some exercises to begin and today a therapist is supposed to come to her room and get her to start moving. Her spirits have greatly improved and she began eating again. She is still in pain but they gave her a morphine button. I got to see the before and after x-rays yesterday too. Not to overuse the word "cool" but they are.


February 9, 2009

I wanted to let you all know that Fredi has been moved to Village Nursing Home on 12th Street and Hudson Street to continue her rehab from her recent fall. It is expected that she will be there for about 3 weeks. She is improving but because of the nature of her break, the condition of her bones, the rapidity of de-conditioning because of her overall strength and some other healing complications the process has taken longer than we might have thought.

I'll let you know when she returns home.

2 comments:

David Eidenberg said...

Dear Tracy,
I just found your blog and all the info about Fredi's illnesses. I can't believe she (all of you) have been going through this for the past two years. I would love to be in touch with you, and with Fredi, if she would like it. My email address is davideidenberg@verizon.net.
I am an idiot when it comes to the internet and I have never responded to a blog before - so I hope this goes through.

Annie said...

Tracy, I spoke to you a couple of years ago and you updated me on Fredi's condition back then. I haven't heard anything in a long long time and she often crosses my mind, so good ol' Google helped me out and I found your blog.

To refresh your memory, I was a private patient of hers many years ago. She changed my life and so I never forgot her.

I hope she has healed a lot since your last posting, since it's been over a year. My heart goes out to all of you. Such a wonderful woman should not have to go through this ordeal! Please send her my love and let her know I'm thinking good thoughts. If you or she would like to be in touch, my email address is hiho322@yahoo.com Please keep me updated.

All the Best,

Annie Silver